Q: I have a 2008 nissan maxima sl. The car cut off while driving. Trying to restart it all I'm getting is a clicking noise.

asked by on October 01, 2017

My car cut off while driving. After pulling over I tried to restart it and all I'm getting is a clicking noise.

Hi Joy. Thanks for contacting us today. Usually the "click" noise while starting is an indication that the starter motor is either not receiving power to engage the motor. This could be due to a dead battery, damaged electrical relay (starter relay or ignition relay) or a damaged alternator. If the vehicle shut off while driving, I would suspect the alternator as being the root issue, as this system not only supplies electrical power to the engine while it’s started, but also charges the battery while in operation. To know for certain what is causing this problem, I would recommend having a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection.