Q: P0336 Questions About Notch Relearn.

My 98 SL2 wouldn't start after throwing a p0336. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor but it still won't spark. I haven't sent it through the relearn procedure yet. Is it likely that it is not sparking because it has not been through the learning process? What do I need for the learning procedure?

Hi there. It is highly probable that the replacement of the sensor did not resolve the error code. When the P0336 diagnostic trouble code has been stored in the Engine Control Module (ECM), it is an indication that the “A” circuit of the crankshaft position sensor has a range/performance error. However, it could be triggered by a malfunction of the crankshaft position sensor, the reluctor wheel has broken, snapped, or has worn down teeth, crankshaft position sensor magnet shavings have gotten stuck on the sensor or the reluctor wheel, wires and circuits have burned or shorted out, or most common in fact; a short in the crankshaft position sensor wiring harness. I would inspect or replace the wiring harness first, clear the codes and see if this resolves your issue.