Q: What does the Brake Warning Light on the dash mean?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What does the Brake Warning Light on the dash mean?

The Brake Warning Light on the dash of your Altima should come on briefly when you first crank the engine. It should turn off quickly afterward, though. If it doesn’t turn off, it can indicate a couple of different things. Here’s what you need to know:

1. In most instances, it’s on because your parking brake is on. Release the brake and it should go out. If it doesn’t go out when you release the brake, the parking brake may be stuck.

2. If the light comes on while driving or flashes while driving (particularly around curves), it could mean that the master cylinder is low on fluid.

To check the brake fluid:

1. Open the hood.

2. Check the level of fluid in the master cylinder.

3. If it is at or below the minimum line, top it off.

4. If the fluid level is OK, have your brake system inspected.

Tips

• If the brake light is on, it can indicate a potential problem with the brake system. Drive only at your own discretion.

• If the brake fluid is low, the pedal may be soft and stopping will require longer distances.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr