Q: My transmission won't go in reverse. Our mechanic said the ECM is bad. Would that cause that?

Would a bad ECM cause the transmission to go bad? Our mechanic said it's not communicating with the transmission to change gears. Thanks you sergio

A: Hello. No, the ECM by itself should not cau...

Hello. No, the ECM by itself should not cause a transmission failure. I suspect the low/reverse band has gone out on your transmission. The newer electronic transmissions have the ability to adjust to wear in the various clutches and bands in the transmission - until it can’t adjust anymore. Then it will fail. However it should give you a powertrain/transmission warning that shows up as a Check Engine or other instrument panel warning. I would recommend you have your transmission diagnosed by a reputable transmission shop.