Q: Brake light won't go off

asked by on February 08, 2016

My brake light won't go off.

Brake light is not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello! The brake light staying on can stem from something as simple as low brake fluid. However, on your particular vehicle the brake light will commonly come on due to a fault in the ABS system controller module. The module tends to develop these faults in old age. A well trained technician such as the staff YourMechanic provides will be able to use an ABS scan tool to help determine if this is the issue. However, computerized components won’t always present its faults through the use of a scan tool. If no computerized faults are present it is recommended that all of the related brake system hardware components are checked. If all hardware checks out OK the ABS module is likely the problem. As said before the modules don’t always present its faults through testing. An inspection of the brake light and the brake hardware will help further determine if the module is in fact at fault.