Q: Why are the fans staying on when the car is off to where I have to pull the fuse?

asked by on December 04, 2016

The car is a 2008 Acura RDX. The two radiator fans are staying on well after the car is off. I had to pull the 30A fuse under the hood to get them off. 24 hours later I replaced the fuse without turning on the car and the fans came on again. What is the most likely cause?

The fans are controlled by a relay as well as a temperature switch and possibly timer(s). The relay may be stuck in the closed position and that would be the first and easiest component to test. If a relay tests bad, typical protocol is to test the rest of the circuit as well, to be sure there are no other malfunctions. I would recommend an inspection of the cooling fan relay. Such an inspection (and replacement of the part, if indicated) is performed on a mobile basis right at your location. Hopefully, we can resolve this for you but if you have additional questions or concerns by all means please let us know.