Q: Check engine light for EGR valve

I have changed the EGR valve of my car. The intake has been cleaned and the check engine light is still on. My car has 166xxx miles. The car is automatic.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. Typically ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Typically when a problem is recognized by the on board computer (ECM), an error code will be triggered that illuminates the check engine light initially. However, this error code is also stored in the computer until the problem is fixed and cleared by a professional mechanic with a digital scanner. In order for the check engine light to come off, you'll need to have a mechanic clear this code, restart the engine and verify the EGR valve repair was done correctly. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.