Q: Car overheating after new water pump

My car was overheating, so I changed the thermostat and water pump. Then it stopped overheating, but after a few miles, it lost power and sounded like the valves were rattling. Then the engine shut off. I let it set for 15 to 20 minutes. I jumpstarted the battery, which had died, and was able to drive it home. But as I got close to my house, it started making the rattling sound again and started to overheat. So I pulled off the road, turned the car off until the temperature went down, and then drove it home. There are no visible leaks in or around the engine or on the ground under it.

Hello. It sounds like you may have a couple of issues going on with your vehicle. The overheating is the first concern. If it is randomly overheating then a block test needs to be done. This would indicate a leak in a head gasket, which is common on this vehicle. It can also be a coolant leak in the intake manifold. If there is water getting into the oil then the oil pump would have issues pumping up the lifters which will cause valve noise. This can also be caused by a failing ignition control module. The module is located under the ignition coils and will intermittently fail when it gets hot. This may be why it runs better when it is restarted. This module can be removed and tested at most auto parts stores. The block test should be done first. If you are looking to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your office to diagnose why your car is overheating.

3. Car overheating after new water pump