Q: Rattle sound coming from the front suspension over bumps?

asked by on March 23, 2017

Whenever I go over a big dip or down a dirt road with a series of bumps I can hear a almost metal like rattle/slapping noise from the front suspension (almost like the sound of worn sway bar bushings). Doesn't make any noise on the regular road unless it's a big bump at lower speeds to be heard clearly, but on dirt roads you can hear it rattle a lot. I've replaced front struts w/ ready mount, front endlinks and sway bar bushings. What else could cause a rattle in the front suspension like this? Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMxHSoJ0EM

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Cory. I watched the video, but it was very difficult to pinpoint a unique rattling sound that wouldn’t possibly be caused by driving on the gravel. In some cases when you drive on rough roads, a rattling sound will not come from a suspension component, but perhaps a loose exhaust bracket or perhaps a loose bushing somewhere. It might be due to a loose motor mount or steering stabilizer bar bushing - but without completing a car is making a noise inspection at your location, it’s really difficult for us to offer any additional advice or ideas.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr