Q: Codes P2106 and P0720

My instruments cluster said transmission problems but I would like to know what is wrong, when I shift on reverse it works fine, but when try shift on drive, I get a slow response from the TAC and my RPM raises until 2500RPM then shifts like normal

Hi, thanks for writing in. Code P0720 is for the output speed sensor for the transmission, and code P2016 is for the throttle control actuator in failure mode and may be due to the transmission codes. The system will need to have the code P0720 diagnosed and repaired first, then see if code P2016 returns as the computer may need to be re-calibrated. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

Hi. The codes you have deal with the electronic throttle body having problem with the throttle control actuator and the output speed sensor. Both of these codes will cause the idle to be abnormal and cause the vehicle to shift abnormally.

I do not think you have a problem with transmission itself the output speed sensor helps the transmission shift properly. When it is faulty it may cause the transmission to shift abnormally.

I suggest you have the output speed sensor changed and the electronic throttle body assembly replaced. Then have the truck retested for the previous problems.

If you need some assistance with performing this repair, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to you and diagnose the trouble codes firsthand for an accurate repair.

3. Codes P2106 and P0720