Q: What does the downhill assist control system do?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What does the downhill assist control system do?

If your car is equipped with the downhill assist control (DAC) system (optional equipment), you have the capability of driving down a steep grade without having to use the brakes. This is important because riding your brakes for a long period of time, such as going down the side of a mountain, can overheat the brakes and reduce their effectiveness. Here’s how to work the DAC system:

• When going down a steep grade, press the DAC button on the left side of the steering wheel.

• The DAC light will come on in the dash.

• The slip indicator on the dash will flash as well.

• You can now drive down a hill at a low speed (roughly 3 MPH) without having to use the brakes. The system uses engine braking to prevent your vehicle from speeding up.

Tips

• The transmission needs to be in L or reverse.

• You cannot be driving faster than 15 MPH.

• You cannot press the gas while the DAC system is active or it will be canceled.

• If you press the DAC switch while the system is active, it will stop working incrementally. The light will flash to warn you that the system is being canceled. It will stop flashing when the DAC system is completely off.