Q: Engine is misfiring and Check Engine Light is on - 2002 Toyota Tacoma

Vehicle engine occasionally starts missing and check engine light starts flashing.It will last for about approximately 5 min. I have had it checked by computer when it is running right and it says misfire on number 3 cylinder. I replaced coil,oxygen sensor,fuel filter,and plug tube set.The vehicle still has the same problem. Changed spark plugs also.

A: Hello. A flashing Check Engine Light is a s...

Hello. A flashing Check Engine Light is a sign that the computer has detected an issue that could potentially damage the vehicle’s emissions components. I would recommend scanning the trouble codes when the light is flashing in order to determine if there is a serious issue.

If there is a misfire on cylinder 3, and you have replaced those components, a few other things I would look into are the fuel injector for cylinder 3, the mass airflow sensor, the fuel pressure, and for any possible vacuum leaks.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, perform an inspection to determine why the engine is misfiring and why the Check Engine Light is on.