Q: Car stop accerating while I was driving

asked by on November 17, 2016

Car stop accerating while I was driving then when i stopped and cut it off it won't start it acts like it want to start .lights work In the car I have a quarter tank of gas.

Hello. The vehicle stalling can be caused by several faults. Typically to blame are fuel delivery and spark. You can perform a series of tests to eliminate some of the options. Start by using a spark tester to see if the voltage for the spark is reaching the plugs. Disconnect the wiring boot from the spark plug and test there. Crank the engine and make sure the distributor and wire are working. If the spark passes its test, then hook up an in-line fuel gauge after the filter and test the fuel pressure upon cranking. You should also be able to hear the fuel pump priming if you turn the key to "on" before starting it. If you do not hear a "whirling" you may have a faulty fuel pump. Another test for the fuel system is to spray starter fluid in the air intake and see if it makes a difference when starting. This would indicate fuel delivery is an issue. You may also want to attempt to scan the vehicle for troubleshooting codes. You may be able to pull some without the vehicle started. At this point different tests need to be performed to confirm or eliminate those systems are having issues.