Q: Repaired ABS module installed, but lights on and not shifting properly

asked by on June 23, 2016

The flashing transmission arrow and the ABS light recently started blinking. Another thing is that the speedometer sometimes stops working and the transmission poorly shifts. I sent the ABS module off for repair. After I installed the repaired module, the ABS light went off, but the flashing transmission arrow remained on and the check engine light stayed on too. Since then (after reinstalling the module), I’ve driven over 1k miles. The lights are still on. Also, before and after installing the repaired ABS module, I got these error codes: P1618, P0705, P0717, P0722. Since then, I’ve reinstalled the ABS module 3 times to ensure that the unit is seated right - but the lights are still on and the transmission is not shifting properly! The company that had repaired the ABS module told me that the P0705 code didn’t have anything to do with the previous bad ABS module. In your professional opinion, do you think the module was correctly repaired or do you think that I possibly might have a PNP switch problem?

Hello. This can be caused by a few different things, but most of the time it is caused by the transmission speed sensors. I usually test the sensors first and replace them if needed. This is going to be the most likely issue. If they are fine, then you may have a circuit problem so the wiring will need to be tested for any breaks or shorts that would cause this. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your shifting issue and diagnose the trouble codes found on your car.