Q: Car turns on but shifter shuts off and car won't move.

I have a 535i from 2008. When I turn the ignition on all functions of car work however as soon as I actually turn on the car the shifter shuts off and doesn't allow car to move.

What you are describing is likely an electrical fault involving the safety shift interlock. This problem can be diagnosed and resolved on a mobile basis, right at your location, if you request a transmission shift interlock diagnostic/repair. To temporarily resolve it, you can try the following: look for a small access panel right at the "D" mark. Lift that panel firmly which will reveal a mechanism beneath. Examine the underside of the cover and the inside of the mechanism for any foreign matter. The transmission can get stuck in park because the interlock that prevents the shifter from moving out of park when the brake is pressed becomes stuck in place with sticky soda or coffee. After cleaning the mechanism, press the brake and try moving the shifter out of park. If that doesn’t work, look for a small cam on the right side of the shift lever. Lift the cam up with the screwdriver to release the interlock. While lifting the cam, press the brake and move the shifter to neutral or drive. If none of these procedures work, simply request the transmission shift interlock diagnostic/repair and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Car turns on but shifter shuts off and car won't move.