Q: My 07 cobalt has oil in the air intake line coming from the valve cover. Also vehicle consuming excess oil. What is the cause

asked by on December 09, 2017

My cobalt has been using excessive amounts of oil. There is oil coming from the air intake line on the top left of the valve cover into the air box . I'm told the is no replaceable pcv valve for my vehicle and the valve is actually built into the valve cover. Is this correct and would I start with replacing the valve cover to stop the oil from leaking out of the air intake line?

The hose on the valve cover is there to allow pressure in the crankcase to vent through the intake. It should only carry vapor and not have oil in it at all. There are a couple of things that can cause you to have liquid oil in this line. One is that the engine may be overfull. Many times when customers bring cars into my shop with this problem, I find they are not up on the procedure for checking the oil and have overfilled the engine. The other likely scenario is that there is an accumulation of crud in the engine and the drain-back holes in the cylinder head are clogged and are not allowing the oil to return from the top of the engine to the crankcase. The third possibility is that the engine is worn out and the accumulated crankcase pressure is keeping the oil in the top of the engine. You need to have this looked at by a pro before spending money that isn’t helpful. Contact YourMechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your oil consumption problem and let you know what it will take to fix it.