Q: Seat belt won't release

Hi, we're putting in new seat belts on the 3rd row of my 2015 cx-9 but can't get the seat belt to release as it's stuck in a lock mode. We noticed the same thing on the old one we took off so seems like there ought to be some simple fix to make it release but can't figure it out. My dog chewed them up so have to put new ones in now but are not able to release the seat belt from it being wound up. Thanks for any help you have.

A: Most vehicles second and third row seat bel...

Most vehicles second and third row seat belts have a ratchet feature that is intended for use with child car seats. This ratchet mechanism is engaged by pulling the seat belt out as far as it can go then releasing it back. While releasing it back you should here a slight clicking sound as the seat belt winds back up. This ratchet can only be disengaged by allowing the seat belt to fully rewind itself back up and then attempt to unwind the seat belt as if you were going to put it on.

I think your seat belts may somehow just be stuck in the ratcheting position. Allowing the seat belt to fully retract is my best recommendation and will likely resolve the issue you are having.