Q: Don't know what peripheral parts are needed to replace torque converter. 2003 Ford Explorer

I have a bad torque converter. I haven't run the vehicle since it audibly blew for fear of circulating metal shavings through the trans. I have a torque converter, new fluid, and a pan gasket/filter kit on hand for this swap. What else am I going to be looking at getting? I am fairly advanced in mechanics, and I'm going to have some pretty experienced people helping. I just don't know if there are any seals/gaskets/o-rings that will go bad, or should be replaced on basic principle when I drop the trans.

A: Hi there - since removing the transmission ...

Hi there - since removing the transmission (or engine - can be done either way), exposes the rear main crankshaft seal, and the input seal to the transmission these are always a good idea for replacement "while you're in there". These are inexpensive parts compared to the labor cost and effort to replace the torque converter. Unfortunately, these are not services YourMechanic can offer at this time. Thanks for thinking of us!