Q: My car has lost 5th gear

asked by on December 15, 2016

Hi, I drive a 2006 Ford Fiesta zetec 1.2 petrol. Yesterday it kept jumping out of 5th gear and then it kept grinding into it but now when I select 5th gear there is nothing there...it's like a natural gear

Unfortunately, your transmission probably has an internal mechanical failure. You should still attempt to rule out a problem, or maladjustment, in the shift linkage, of course, but if nothing is amiss with the linkage, the transmission has to be removed from the car and disassembled. Of course, due to the labor involved in removal, disassembly, cleaning, inspection, repair and re-installation, the entire transmission should be rebuilt, as needed, and that would start with inspection and measurement. Some certified Mechanics in the YourMechanic network are capable of performing these type of rebuilds, but you will simply have to check with YourMechanic to see if a Mechanic is available in your locale. If you have further questions or concerns on this or other vehicle issues, by all means please re-contact us and we will help you further.

The problem started with the synchronized gear worn and grinded the gears until the gears worn down and now you have no gears for fifth. You should have the transmission repaired or replaced.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr