Q: I get trouble code P2138, but I have cleared it and the car works for a while. Now I am getting trouble code P2127 along with P2138.

Have had ongoing issues with P2138 , clear , works for a while. Now I am getting P2127 along with P2138 and i dont want to just start throwing parts at it like throttle body, pedal sensor etc.The car goes into reduced power mode and this has been a problem for a while. I checked for any obvious wiring issues like exposed wire etc. I have a feeling you may recommend the dealer for diagnostics but just thought I would check. This particular model you cant replace the sensor on the throttle body, they want you to replace the whole TB. My other concern is that it might be the computer itself might be bad. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Couser

Hi there. The pedal position sensor on the gas pedal has lost signal for the switch ’E’ and ’D’. The code P2138 means that the computer has discovered a malfunction with the pedal sensor.

Check the harness to the gas pedal and see if there is any moisture or debris on the contacts. If there is no debris, then use a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM) and check resistance on the circuits to the sensor with the pedal in up position and down position. If the resistance has no change or very little change, then the sensor needs replacing. If the resistance is strong and seems normal, then check the wiring from the pedal to the computer for any broken or loose wires.

If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can determine what exactly has gone wrong and replace the pedal position sensor if needed.

• I get trouble code P2138, but I have cleared it and the car works for a while. Now I am getting trouble code P2127 along with P2138.