Q: Cherry red catalytic converter.

Truck lacks power, and exhaust manifold on driver side gets completely red, just timed with timing gun, new wires and plugs, thinking it could be fuel regulator?? It has no catylac converter cut out due to being stopped up just trying not to burn it to the ground. Or 02 sensors ca uses it to do that?

Hi there. Usually, oxygen sensors do not cause this problem, but if the oxygen sensor itself is causing the truck to run lean, then that could cause this issue.

If the oxygen sensor is bad, the Check Engine light would come on because of it. GM has a common problem with the fuel pumps going bad or not putting out the proper fuel pressure, causing a lean condition in the fuel system that makes the exhaust glow red.

Sometimes, the fuel pressure regulator can cause problems as well and it is a cheaper fix than a fuel pump. You can start with changing the fuel pressure regulator and seeing if that fixes the issue. From my experience, the fuel pump is the cause of this problem and needs to be replaced.

If you need assistance, get a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to replace the oxygen sensor, the fuel pressure regulator, or the fuel pump for you.