Q: Bad radio in this truck, is there an easy fix?

My Toyota Tacoma is from 2009, but sometimes I think it must be from 1989. The truck has almost 54,000 miles on it. The radio in this truck just refuses to stay on, and is glitchy when it does. I have had the stations change randomly, the display mix all the letters up, and the volume controls reverse on me! A little bump will turn the thing off every time. Is there something loose in there that I could tighten for a quick fix, or is this a bigger problem? The truck has almost 54,000 miles on it.

Greetings! Thank you for writing in with this question. This is a well-known problem for 2009 and 2010 Tacoma models. Toyota released Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 0238-09 that deals specifically with this problem. While the TSB calls for replacement of the radio with an updated unit, unfortunately your vehicle is no longer covered by the 3year/36,000 mile warranty term stipulated in the TSB. Your local Toyota dealer may still honor the coverage if you call them and tell them about the TSB. Otherwise, you will have to pay for the updated replacement radio. Alternatively, you can have an aftermarket (Pioneer, Alpine, etc.) radio unit installed by a specialty car audio retailer.