Q: Overheating coolant reservoir has a pinhole in it. Is this the cause of overheating?

Pinhole in coolant reservoir will this cause overheating

Hey there. If the coolant reservoir is leaking, then it could leak out enough coolant to cause the engine to overheat. The reservoir is known to get stress heat cracks and leak coolant. You might see a small pinpoint leak, but as the engine runs hotter it will push out more and more coolant.

I would suggest having the cooling system checked for overheating then pressure tested for the leaks. If the coolant reservoir is leaking, then have it replaced. Run the engine to verify the cooling system fans come on and the system does not overheat. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the leaking coolant if you need this taken care of.

3. Overheating coolant reservoir has a pinhole in it. Is this the cause of overheating?