Q: Transmission in safe mode

asked by on February 25, 2016

The transmission is in safe mode. I think the speed sensors are bad.

It could be that the speed sensor is bad. The transmission will go into limp or safe mode when it loses one of its main inputs, such as the transmission speed or transmission range sensor. It may also go into limp mode if there is problem with one of the main outputs, such as a shift solenoid, or if there are internal transmission mechanical problems. When in limp mode, the transmission control module (TCM) will cut power to the transmission control relay and de-energize the shift solenoids. This makes the transmission limited to only 2nd or 3rd gear. I suggest calling a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose and repair this problem for you.