Q: Went out to start my 2001 E 320 turned the key and there was a loud snapping noise like a short circuit. Now the instruments stil

asked by on May 12, 2017

The wife went out to start our 2001 Mercedes E320. She said that she turned the key and heard a loud snapping / popping sound. She described as an electrical shorting noise. The engine never turned over. When I went out to the car, the dash lights were working as well as all of the accessories . I was wondering if this is a problem common to older Mercedes. I'm thinking starter maybe. I'm hoping maybe you could point me in the right direction. JDDay

Hi there. It’s actually a problem with vehicles over 10 to 15 years of age in general. What typically occurs is that the ignition relay will be come damaged after years of continual wear and tear. This is most likely what is causing the car to not crank over. The ignition relay will send an electrical signal to the starter relay, ignition system and fuel system to start the engine. It tends to make a ’buzzing noise’ when it breaks. However, it could also be a starter relay or a starter issue that is causing this problem, so before you have any parts replaced, it might be a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a car is hard to start inspection, so they can isolate the root source of your issue and ensure the right repairs are made.