Q: Ford Probe GT either revs too high or too low to the point of stalling

asked by on May 04, 2016

I have a Ford Probe GT 6-cylinder EFI. Sometimes it revs too high and clears it up at 1500 RPMs idle. Sometimes it revs too low to the point where it stalls. What could it be?

I know Fords and a lot of times it is the throttle having problems. So, you either want to clean the throttle yourself (see my video "cleaning the throttle on your car") or have a mechanic clean the throttle body for you. If this doesn’t solve the issue, it is probably time for a new throttle.

A lot of time, the throttles just wear out on those things - especially on the later-model ones. They have problems with the throttle assembly and they have new designs that could require a new throttle assembly. But I would try cleaning it first, because a lot of times it is just covered with carbon and needs cleaning to rev normally again. You could also have the car inspected by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic. They’ll be able to diagnose your high engine idling issue and make the right repairs for you.