Q: Ford Probe GT either revs too high or too low to the point of stalling

I have a Ford Probe GT 6-cylinder EFI. Sometimes it revs too high and clears it up at 1500 RPMs idle. Sometimes it revs too low to the point where it stalls. What could it be?

I know Fords and a lot of times it is the throttle having problems. So, you either want to clean the throttle yourself (see my video "cleaning the throttle on your car") or have a mechanic clean the throttle body for you. If this doesn’t solve the issue, it is probably time for a new throttle.

A lot of time, the throttles just wear out on those things - especially on the later-model ones. They have problems with the throttle assembly and they have new designs that could require a new throttle assembly. But I would try cleaning it first, because a lot of times it is just covered with carbon and needs cleaning to rev normally again. You could also have the car inspected by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic. They’ll be able to diagnose your high engine idling issue and make the right repairs for you.

3. Ford Probe GT either revs too high or too low to the point of stalling