Q: Engine turned off but inside of car still on, now engine won't turn back on.

My boyfriend is up in Washington on a trip and he turned the car off but everything inside didn't turn off, all the lights on the dash and the radio and inside lights stayed on. He went to turn the car back on and the key won't turn. He took the ignition out and turned the key in it to make sure it wasn't the ignition and it turned. He then tried undoing the battery and it turned everything off but he still can't turn the key and start the engine.

Hi there. The symptoms you’re describing with your boyfriend’s 2002 Grand Cherokee appear to be related to a broken or worn out ignition switch or relay. The ignition switch on the inside of the steering column is attached to multiple electronic connections that send signals to a relay box; which in turn, sends the signal to the individual components. The issue could be related to the ignition switch, the relay, or any of the components in between. If you want to have the fault pinpointed in person, I would have this starting issue inspected by a trained professional to ensure that the correct repair is made.

3. Engine turned off but inside of car still on, now engine won't turn back on.