Q: How do I use the Driver Information Center?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do I use the Driver Information Center?

A small screen that is located at the bottom of the tachometer on the instrument panel is called the Driver Information Center, DIC for short. This system allows the driver to select what data is being displayed in front of the driver. Some vehicles have controls for the DIC next to the instrument panel in the form of 4 buttons stacked vertically. Others simply rely on the stem that also resets the trip odometer. The stem is located in the instrument cluster.

If your vehicle has DIC buttons, then there are 4 buttons that make up the DIC controls. From top to bottom, there is:

A button with a road depicted on it, used to switch between:

• The odometer, which depicts total mileage of the vehicle.

• The trip odometer, which can be reset at any time to track mileage for one trip.

• Average fuel economy, which can also be reset to track economy for a single trip.

• A timer.

• Temperature of the transmission.

• Overall fuel use, which can be reset as well.

• Current fuel economy.

• A digital speedometer.

When one of these items is selected, the screen will also display the direction the truck is facing, via the compass, and the temperature.

A button with a car depicted on it next to a large letter ‘i’. Pressing this will select between:

• Air pressure in the tires.

• Life of the oil, which can monitor the amount of stress the engine oil endures between changes.

• Oil pressure.

Standard and Metric numbers for information displays.

• Compass zone, which can be changed depending on the truck’s location.

• Trailer brake control, which is useful for towing.

• Compass calibration info, to keep the compass precise.

• Battery voltage.

• Hours of engine use, which cannot be reset.

A button with two boxes depicted on it in which one box contains a check mark. This is the customization menu button that allows the driver to select between the custom settings in their truck.

• A button with a large “check” mark on it. This resets things like the trip odometer or the average fuel economy.

• The stem that controls the odometer can also be used to change the language that the displays use. English, French, and Spanish are available.

If your vehicle does not have DIC buttons by the instrument panel, then the stem by the odometer, mounted to the instrument panel itself, can be used to change what the screens display:

• Pressing the stem allows the driver to switch between the various numbers that can be displayed. These numbers are:

• The odometer
    • The trip odometer
    • Temperature of the transmission
    • Trailer brake system
    • Speedometer
    • Battery voltage
    • Oil pressure
    • Compass zone
    • Compass calibration info
    • Life of engine oil