Q: P0113 error code: related to stall while in drive? caused by error when changing air filter? 2011 Dodge Durango

On Wednesday I had an oil change, battery check, and replaced the air filter in my Durango. The next day on Thursday, the car stalled while in drive, at about 20 mph. (Has never happened before. Regular oil changes always performed, tune up & new spark plugs 8 months ago.) Dealer could find nothing wrong, no stored codes. They did a couple of software updates for PCM & TCM. 3 days later, check engine light came on while in park. The tech read the code as P0013, air intake temperature sensor high input. The dealer is now replacing the sensor for $137. The tech who read the code said this error code/issue could have been related to the stall out last week; the service advisor says no, he also says it's not possible that the replacement of the air filter would have caused this issue with the sensor. Is the service advisor correct?

Hello - yes, replacing the air filter could cause the P0113 - intake air temp sensor high circuit condition. The intake air sensor is located in the plastic intake housing that leads to and contains the air filter, so it could have been left disconnected, or damaged in some fashion. If the engine computer does not have a valid signal from the intake air temperature sensor, it will miscalculate the amount of fuel needed for the engine, which could lead to an over-rich or over-lean condition, and stalling. If you wish for a 2nd opinion than your original mechanic, I would recommend an engine stalling inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. P0113 error code: related to stall while in drive? caused by error when changing air filter? 2011 Dodge Durango