Q: Slight delay when stepping on accelerator pedal

"When I step on the accelerator pedal, there is a slight delay. This is the system I’ve been trying: --I don’t ever touch the brake pedal and the key remains inserted the entire time. --I insert the key and push the Start button. --I press and Hold the accelerator pedal for 30 seconds (I researched and some said 5; others said 25 seconds. I did 30 seconds to be sure). --WithOut Releasing the Accelerator Pedal, I push the Start button. --Then I Release the accelerator pedal. --Then I wait for at least a full 2 minutes. --Then I start the car normally. But this process is NO Help! Please tell me what to do to fix this problem. Thank you."

Hello. This delay is common in what is known as drive by wire engines. This means that the throttle is controlled by sensors and an electric motor. Most of the time when there is a delay that is this serious, it is caused by a programming issue or by the throttle body failing or being dirty. I usually start by checking the throttle body and cleaning it if it is dirty. If cleaning it does not help, I reprogram the engine computer. If the problem persists after that, then the throttle body usually needs to be replaced. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your acceleration concern.