Q: Check Engine Light is on - codes P0016 and P0017

My car first showed the check engine light and then it began shutting off while driving (the oil &battery light would turn on after it'd shut off). After connecting it to a scanner it gave off both codes p0016 and p0017. I had my car looked at by a mechanic and he referred me to a local shop because he didn't have the tools for my car specifically. I had to get my car towed there since it would shut off after turning on. The mechanic there told me he wasn't sure if it was my timing chain or my sensors but he had a good feeling it was my timing chain and he was trying to charge me $900. I called the nearest kia and got an estimate of their repair and they were charging me $750. I had my car towed back home and had another mechanic look at it who said if I bought the parts for the timing chain he'd only charge me $250. I went to auto zone to order the kit but when I told the man helping me(who was also the manager) he told me if there were my timing chain my car would not turn on at all.

A: Hi there. These codes lead me to believe th...

Hi there. These codes lead me to believe that the cam/crank timing is out. However, there are possible underlying problems that can set the same codes and give you the symptoms you're describing.

You could have a wiring/connector issue within the camshaft position sensor circuit or you could have a VVT concern. If the oil control valve(s) for the variable valve timing (VVT) become worn or contaminated, they can stick. The sticking can also be caused by failing to change the oil on the proper schedule. The VVT gear could also be stuck internally and may be keeping the cam timing set and not adjustable as is needed.

I strongly suggest having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the Check Engine Light is on and suggest any needed repairs.