Q: 2010 Mercedes C300. Car will start, but steering wheel is locked and red battery light is on dashboard

asked by on February 26, 2018

My car will start and everything works on the inside, but the steering wheel is locked. After about 30 seconds of my car running, a red battery signal pops upon the dashboard.

Warning Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The battery warning light signifies an electrical problem and such could be in the battery, the alternator, the charging circuit or possibly (but less likely) elsewhere in the vehicle electrical system. There might be a relationship between the warning light and the column locking. In particular, low voltage can fool the security system into "thinking" that the car is being stolen, leading to anti-theft pin engagement in the column. But, there are other possible explanations as there are other electro-mechanical devices and interlocks in the column and shift lock. The warning light should be followed up on first though to see if resolving the fault there provides a global resolution (i.e., gets your column unlocked, too). To resolve this, the recommended service is a warning light diagnostic - battery/charging circuit. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will diagnose both issues but, again, will likely start with the battery light. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.