Q: Why do you want to replace both of the front brake pads at the same time?

asked by on February 04, 2017

Just want to know why. Say that the front right side is still good and the front left side needs to be replaced. Why can't you just replace the front right side? It looks like the breaking fluid caliper adjust to each of the braking systems.

Hello - brake pads normally wear relatively equally between the left and right side. This indicates that the brakes on each side are working properly. A frozen caliper, or sticking caliper slide bolt will cause a wear imbalance, and should be noticeable to the drive as a "pull" to one side of the other. It is a true safety issue that a car will stop in a straight line during a panic stop. Doing everything possible to ensure that brake capability is the same between left and right side brakes is a simple way to make that happen. Replacing the brake rotors (or machining them smooth), installing new pads with a consistently smooth surface and verifying that brake calipers are not sticking are foundation items in brake service to ensure maximum, safe brake performance.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr