Q: Front end bearing or trans-axle noise. Hear a grinding noise noticeable above 15 mph. exists going straight, turning right/left.

asked by on December 12, 2016

Do you have to remove the ball joint to remove front CV axle? Can it be removed by just removing the wheel hub? I'm removing the wheel hubs to trouble shoot. So far one is okay, haven't checked (uninstalled the other yet). Since I have the wheel hub off, I was going to try and remove the CV axles to see if noise is specific to the trans-axle (lay-shaft) of the transmission. There is no problem with the transmission shifting going F or R. Just grinding noise when in gear.

My car is a 2008 Chevy Uplander 2WD 3.9l My car has 80000 miles.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. To answer your question, the best way to remove the axles it by disconnecting the ball joints. The noise you are hearing can be coming from a bearing, an axle or from the transmission. I usually check the bearings first and then remove the axles and check the joints for any binding. If the axles and the bearings are fine then this is a transmission issue. Most of the time it is a bearing problem. If you do not find the problem I would get some help from a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, that can come to you to [diagnose why it is making this grinding noise] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-making-a-noise-inspection