Can i drive long distance with bad pcv valve 2011 chevrol...

Q: Can i drive long distance with bad pcv valve

asked by on May 17, 2017

Can I drive long distance with a bad pcv valve? (12 hours) it's making a wistle noise after,the car warms up and has a rough idle if the heat isn't on.

Hi there. Although its never recommended to drive any longer than you should with a damaged component, driving 12 hours with a damaged PCV valve could be very risky. The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve is responsible for transferring excess gas from inside the crankcase into the intake manifold, where the gas can be used as fuel. These excesses gasses are transferred the rough the PCV valve hose. This system allows the vehicle to utilize excess gas, so that it is not wasted. It’s probably a very good idea to have this component replaced before making your long road trip. One of our mobile mechanics can come to you to complete this if you wish.