Q: 2004 Ford Explorer stuck in 4x4 high

asked by on March 30, 2018

My 2004 explorer won't come out of 4x4 high, I try to press 4x4 low and auto but nothing changes and it will not got above 30mph. I was told I had two bad back tires and possibly a wheel bearing. What could be the issue?

Wheel Bearings Replacement $94.60 - $550.03 Get a Quote

Faults in the tires and wheel bearing are not related to the failure to shift out of high. Wheel bearing service can be scheduled at YourMechanic’s wheel bearing repair service page. Some reported fixes for failure to switch between high and low are to replace the mode switch (only after testing it of course) and/or disconnecting the car battery for 15 minutes. Other reported fixes are listed at this website and this website. If none of the foregoing help, the best strategy is to use the diagnostic flowchart in the Factory Service Manual for this issue. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request service. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.