Q: What type of gasoline should I use?

What type of gasoline should I use?

A: Your car’s engine was designed to use gasol...

Your car’s engine was designed to use gasoline, rather than diesel. However, not all grades of gas are the same. The right type is necessary to prevent knocking and potential engine damage. You should only use 87 octane gas or higher. Be aware that some gas stations market gasoline with under 87 octane as “regular” so always check the labels at the pump. Do not use anything lower than 87 and never use diesel (this can destroy your engine).

Tip

If your engine is designed to use flexible fuels, you can use any mixture of gasoline and ethanol.