Q: My car switched gears by itself while I was driving.

My car switched gears by itself while I'm driving. Sometimes I have to put it in neutral to start it.

Hi There, This sounds like a problem with the transmission range sensor, also known as the transmission position sensor. This sensor is responsible for sending data or input to the PCM relating to the transmission in order for the PCM to properly control it. When this sensor is not working properly, you may notice the transmission may not go into the specified gear selected or in some cases it may shift on its own or not allow the vehicle to start. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to properly diagnose and repair.

3. My car switched gears by itself while I was driving.