Q: Car doesn't start - fast clicking noise. I attached portable battery / car "jumper" system. Clicking goes away but doesn't start

asked by on February 26, 2017

I went to start my car after sitting in the cold a few weeks and it didn't start. I hear a fast clicking sound, but that is it. I see a battery light come up on my dashboard. I didn't have someone to jump me, but there was a home depot a block away. I bought a portable "jump" system for $50. I had to charge it overnight. This morning I attached the positive/red cable to the clasp around the positive battery side, then attached the negative cable to part of the metal frame of the car. When I turn the key, I don't hear the clicking and I don't get the battery signal flashing on my dashboard. Basically nothing happens, but I do hear a bit of noise coming from the portable charger. Thoughts? Thanks

Hi there. When you jump start a car, the correct procedure is to attach the red line to the positive battery terminal and the black line to the negative battery terminal. This completes the electrical circuit. It is possible that the battery is dead, but also possible that an electrical relay or the alternator is damaged, which restricts the ability to charge the battery. Before you begin to buy parts, it’s a better idea to first have this issue correctly diagnosed. You can set up a car is hard to start inspection, which will allow one of our mobile mechanics come to your location and determine what’s causing this problem; and recommend or complete the right repairs for you.