Q: 08 chevy colorado 3.7 5 cyl should i be concerned that my alternator {2 months old} doesnt put out power for 2 min when cold start

asked by on July 16, 2017

last thursday when i left work my battery light came on and dash showed charging system, it went away after 2 miles and the voltage increased from 10.8volts to 14.5 volts. I've noticed from cold starts this happens ranging from 1 to 3 min before the alternator seems to kick on. the battery is at 12.3 before I start, had the alternator and battery tested today at advance auto and they both passed (replaced them 2 months ago) as I drive i also notice the system voltage (according to the obd2 reader) hits 15.2volts as i am driving around. do you think it is possible for an intermittent issue with the alternator/voltage regulator on a new alternator? should i be concerned with the 15.2 volts being put out of the alternator as i drive?

Hi there. At first glance, I would not assume that the voltage issues you are experiencing is related to a faulty alternator itself. It’s more likely that you have a faulty electrical connection or harness that is causing the inconsistent voltage problems. I would first check all electrical connections within the charging system on your Chevrolet Colorado first, to ensure they are all tight fitting and no frayed wires exist. If they all check out, then it’s possible that an internal fault exists within the alternator; but that is extremely rare. You might want to have a professional mechanic complete an electrical problems inspection at your location to help you diagnose this problem if you can’t resolve with the above recommendations.