Q: Key won't turn over, 2009 Pontiac G8

I went out to my car this morning, and it wouldn’t start. I turned the key, and it turns over but nothing else. I took a guess that it’s the fuel pump, and so I replaced that. But my car still won't start. Do you have any ideas of what I should look at? What else could it be?

A: An engine that cranks but doesn't start...

An engine that cranks but doesn't start is lacking one or more of the following: compression, fuel, or spark. You need to check for each of the following to determine the cause. You can check fuel pressure using a dedicated gauge at the fuel rail. Proper injector control can be checked using a noid light inserted into the harness side of the injector connector. Spark can be checked using an inline spark tester and compression can be checked using a compression and or leak down gauge. I recommend that you have a trained professional diagnose the starting issue for you firsthand. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls and can save you a tow bill.