Q: Steering wheel locked and key won't turn

asked by on September 15, 2017

My steering wheel is locked and the key won't turn in the ignition. I've done everything I've seen on the internet as far as turning the wheel while also turning the key. The steering wheel has the most movement being turned to the left and is completely locked to the right, so I tried turning it to the left while also turning the key in the ignition. I've tried slightly wiggling the wheel while turning the key. I've also tried slipping the key out in infinitesimal amounts while turning it. I've tried spraying my key with WD40. I've also tried all of the above while having my foot on the brake. Nothing seems to work.

Hi Patrice. Thanks to contacting us today. One thing that might be causing this issue - that was not mentioned is the brake switch. This component is a safety system that will lock the key in the ignition and the steering wheel as you’ve indicated. However, it’s also possible that the ignition cylinder itself is broken and will need to be replaced. The best tip I can offer is to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an onsite inspection, so they can correctly identify the root issue and recommend or complete the right repairs for you.