My 131,000 mile vehicle is losing oil. First noticed this...

Q: My 131,000 mile vehicle is losing oil. First noticed this summer in NC. Brought car to Toyota dealer, was down about 2 qts. Check

asked by on November 13, 2017

My 131,000 mile vehicle is losing oil. First noticed this summer in NC. Brought car to Toyota dealer, was down about 2 qts. Checked it in about 1,000 miles and was losing more. Drove 2 1/2 hours to Lexus dealer. They put car on lift and showed me that they could not see an oil leek. Did full oil change (told me the Lexus dealership had used synthetic oil just before I went to NC). Seemed ok when I checked it at 500, and then 900 miles. Now was way down again. Next oil change due in 3,000 miles. Was about 2-3 qts low. There is NO oil leak in my garage. I do not see blue smoke. What should I do next? Thanks.

This sounds like pretty serious consumption. To verify the consumption rate, make sure you check the oil level under the exact same conditions each time Be sure the car is on a level surface. If you check the oil with the engine fully warmed up, be sure it is always fully warmed up when you check it. If your car uses a quart of oil between oil changes, at 130,000 miles I would call that acceptable. Beyond that should get some attention. Put a clean sheet of paper or cardboard under the car overnight to check for drips. You might be loosing oil down the valve stem seals, or it may be passing the rings and burning. If you have decided that your car is using too much oil, contact YourMechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your oil consumption problem and let you know what can be done for it.