Q: Transmission lunges into second and sometimes third gear.

Driving in slow traffic, starting out and you don't get up to a speed to shift in the next gear, the transmission shifts into second gear with a lurch; by surprise. Sudden shift into the next gear. I reported this to the dealer and they said they checked out the transmission and there was no codes and no problem found. I have been driving for about 50 years and have had a lot of experence with cars, trucks and off road heavy equipment. I hope you can shed some light on this problem.

Hello. I have come across this problem a few times on the Escape. There are some problems that can arise as the transmission wears and the computer tries to compensate for that wear. With only 48,000 miles on it, I doubt that is the case. The two most common issues I have seen is a programming problem in the computer and a problem with the valve body in the transmission. Either of them can be hard to diagnose if the problem is not occurring when it is being tested. Most of the time it is a programming issue.

I have had some transmission control modules that have had corrupt programming which causes the computer to not know when to shift the transmission. Most of the time reprogramming it will take care of it. Other times it is in the valve body. Either debris gets into it or the valve body housing warps and causes the shift solenoids to stick causing this. One other problem that I have come across a couple of times is a bad throttle position sensor. If this sensor is not reading correctly then this will occur also. Since the problem is intermittent, this may be why the dealer may have not been able to spot the problem.

If you would like, you can have one of our certified mechanics come visit your location to have your transmission issue inspected. I suggest having it checked soon after you begin experiencing the issue again.

3. Transmission lunges into second and sometimes third gear.