Q: engine knock

When I bought this car, it had been sitting for at least a few months, not being driven. After a month of fairly heavy driving, it started to knock badly and stall randomly. I checked the oil and it was pretty much out. I stopped driving it immediately. I refilled the oil, but it still knocks, so I don't drive it at all. I'm sure you can't say anything without checking out the car, but do you think it is worth trying to save this car if I can't afford a new engine? Can engine knock usually be resolved without replacing the whole engine?

If there is engine knock after running low on oil and it does not go away after putting oil in it, then the damage is done. The engine bearings are bad and more than likely ruined the crankshaft, rods, pistons. The engine may not be rebuildable or able to be fixed.

3. engine knock