Q: Advice on working as a mechanic

I'm interested in becoming a certified mechanic. What are some pros and cons?

I’m kind of unique because I learned from my grandfather, who was a mechanic at the corner of Texaco gas station in New York when I was a kid. So I learned hands-on from my grandfather. He wouldn’t teach me anything but he let me watch.

So, I’ve learned by watching. So, I always worked with my grandfather or my father, and then eventually by myself. So I liked it.

Problem with being a mechanic for other people is that you’ve got to deal with all that nonsense. If you work in a dealership, there is pack in order. The guys who have made it the longest get the most money. You start at the bottom, at the jobs that get the least amount of money. Of course, your hands get wiped out, you are breathing the fumes all the time. It could be a dirty and dangerous job.

But if you like fixing things, becoming a mechanic could be really fun. Especially, like me, since I work by myself. I’m outside and have a giant fan. I turn the fan on and it blows all that stuff away, so you don’t have to worry about pollution. So it’s fun. If you like working with your hands and if you like electronics, you can make a lot of money doing that.

3. Advice on working as a mechanic