Q: Oil Light comes on and car dies

Car was very low on oil. The oil pressure light came on and the engine died. Car has been topped off with oil, and starts no problem. It runs for about 5 mins the slowly shuts down with oil pressure and check engine light coming on. It will start back up fine. No abnormal engine noise.

Hi There, If your oil pressure falls below a specific level, the ECM (car’s computer) will automatically shut the engine down to avoid further damage to the engine. This is done as a safety precaution. Typically, the oil pressure light will come on when you are in fact low on oil, the oil pump is not pumping oil properly or in some cases when the oil pressure sensor is faulty providing a false reading. In any case, this should be looked at as soon as possible by a qualified mechanic. I would suggest having one of our experts here at YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.