Q: Honda civic 2002 makes a lowd knocking noise when the compressor is activated. I replaced the compressor, added oil, vacuum tested

asked by on May 15, 2017

Old compressor was leaking and was making a knocking noise. I replaced the compressor and dryer. I added oil (5 oz) into compressor before installing it. Vacuum indicated no leaks. Then recharged with R134 (about 20 Oz) . Knocking noise is still present, unbearable. Air is cold. belt was tightened. What would cause a load knocking noise whenever the compressor kicks in?

How much would it cost to fix the problem. Replaced parts were brand new.

Hi there. Since you just replaced the compressor, it may be that the AC system is overcharged making the compressor hard to turn. It is also possible the new compressor itself is defective.The best advice we can offer here is to have one of our professional mobile mechanics come to your location and complete an AC is not working inspection. This will allow them to inspect your vehicle and determine what exactly is causing this noise and then recommend a repair that should resolve the issue. Since there are multiple possible sources, providing you a good estimate for repairing this issue would be very difficult.