Q: Possible ECM problem

My GMC turned off at a stoplight. It started back up but the Service Engine Soon light came on. I took it to a friend who has a scan reader, and he told me the ECM needed to be changed.

Hello! Im assuming the code was a P0606 which indicates a PCM/ECM processor internal fault. I suggest checking the wiring and terminal at the ECM because at times it will be just a bad connection/wire causing the trouble code. There also cases in which the ECM will need a reprogramming not a replacement. To determine if your ECM falls in the reprogramming category you need to check the TSB’s (Technical Service Bulletins) for your vehicle. The TSB’S can be checked for your vehicle by YourMechanic or any other shop, but the VIN is required to retrieve the correct information. If the ECM itself is determined to be the issue or the ECM needs reprogramming both will unfortunately require a trip to the dealership. Only they posses the equipment needed to reprogram an ECM or to program a new ECM to the vehicle.

3. Possible ECM problem