Q: P1456 - Check engine minor EVAP Leak.. Not the Gas cap

asked by on November 19, 2016

I am low on money .. Taking it to a mechanic and taking a chance of them telling me I need to fix multiple things that I don't need, I can't afford to do. I have a chk engine light for minor evap leak .. I changed my Fuel cap to a brand new original Nissan cap, erased the code and about a week later it popped back up again. I do smell gas (very very little) in my car when I turn it on, and it seems like I loose a lot more Gas quicker than I originally did when I first purchased the car. Do you think it's a hose leak? Or maybe it's a faulty charcoal canister? The code is P1456. Pleasee help me. I don't want to get raped by a dealer mechanic ! :(

Fuel is leaking from gas tank Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If you smell gas, there can be a leak in a number of places. All the fuel lines should be carefully inspected to make sure they are secure and undamaged, all the way up to the fuel injectors themselves. Even a minor fuel leak can allow fuel to evaporate, making is seem ;like you are getting poor mileage. While it should be inspected along with all the fuel lines, if you especially smell gas inside the car, the fuel pump-to-fuel tank seal should be inspected as well. The fuel pump can be accessed under the rear seat bottom. Once it is removed, there is a triangular-shaped panel in the middle of the floor. The wiring harness grommet must be removed first, then the 3 screws can be removed to access the fuel pump, located on top of the fuel tank. The fuel line connections and tank seal should be inspected and/or replaced if needed. Other causes can be a leaking or damaged purge valve or canister, as well as hoses connected to them.

The best course of action would be to have a certified technician check the system for fuel leaks before randomly replacing parts. That can get expensive as most fuel and electronic-related parts are not returnable once purchased and/or installed.